Friday 18 October 2013

‘I am Not Controversial’- Nii Ayi Tagoe Of Joy Fm Speaks Out Finally!!!

He is one of the very few presenters in Ghana who would not hesitate to express his opinion on issues he has something to say about. His opinionated nature is felt on radio, TV and social networks. His Name is Nii Ayi Tagoe who works at Joy FM in Accra.                                             
Nii Ayi Tagoe has been with Joy FM since 2004 but had one-month stint with Meridian FM together with Chester Avernogbor. “We left when we realized they weren't really prepared. This was when they opened in 2002,” he told Flex newspaper in an interview.
   

“I've always had access to music. Ever since I was born, music has always 'been in my blood' and it's not surprising I find myself where I am today,” he explained his motivation for doing radio.Nii never trained as a DJ but met DJ Black in 1999 when he taught him how to mix music professionally. As to becoming a presenter, he learnt on the job. When asked how he felt the first day he spoke into Joy FM's microphone, he said with the likes of Cox Tamakloe, DJ Black, Komla Dumor, Stan Dogbe and a host of others with him when he joined Joy FM, he was lucky he had all the teachers one could ever wish for. “I felt great but I was limited because I hadn't had the proper training,” he added.
  

He also noted that when he started radio, people didn't think his voice was right for radio so they asked that he shouldn't even be allowed on air. At some point in time he was even told that he wasn't Joy FM material. “I wouldn't have gotten this far if it hadn't been for Cox Tamakloe who coached and the encouraged me,” he reiterated. When asked if he is controversial as some people describe him, considering his trenchant arguments and spiky comments, he replied in the negative. “I am not controversial. I say it as I see it.”
   

According to Nii Ayi Tagoe, radio has really helped him meet a whole lot of people at top level management, built partnerships and friendships that only radio and television could help one do. He gets to DJ at events and that brings in extra income. Nii, who also works as banker at Ghana Commercial Bank Limited hosts the 'Weekend City Show' and 'Rhythms A to Z' on Joy FM and is also a bencher for veteran broadcaster, Ken Addy. He is also a regular panelist on entertainment talk programme, 'The Pundits' on GHOne television.

Kwame Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment