Wednesday 23 October 2013

Ghanaian Kissing Actors Are @ Risk (part 2)

Three weeks ago, two Ghanaian actors revealed (on anonymity) to Flex newspaper that   Ghanaian film makers don't screen them medically before casting them to play roles that involve kissing.
 Some people in our showbiz industry doubted the story simply because our sources debarred us from publishing their names. In fact, Dr. Cann, host of Happy 98.9 FM's Saturday entertainment programme' Showbiz Xtra' lambasted Flex newspaper Editor Samuel Atuobi Baah; remarking “Sammy you should not have done such a story. Some of the actors are angry at you.”   'The truth is one and cannot be hidden forever.'Unknown to Dr. Cann and others, many of our Ghanaian actors rather took keen interest in the story because their health is at risk. In case you don't know, list of infections one can contract through kissing are: HIV, Hepatitis-B, Warts, Swine flu, Infectious mononucleosis, Otitis media, Tonsillitis, Mumps, Chickenpox, Measles, Slapped cheek syndrome and the likes.    Following up on the same story, three celebrated Ghanaian actors have re-confirmed to Flex newspaper that our Ghanaian film makers don't screen them medically before casting them for roles that involve passionate kissing. Read what promising actress and communication savvy, Ebi Bright, told your authoritative Flex newspaper:
OSARFO: Do our film makers screen you guys before casting you for roles that involve deep kissing? EBI: What?! Eerrmm no. Funny, nobody talks about this at all. Most Ghanaian Film makers are very careless about our sexual health. I guess we're pretty careless about this particular issue. If you give me a role, once I think my co-star is relatively clean, that's it! I remember worrying about Hepatitis B but I vaccinated and then forgot about any other risk.
 OSARFO: Is this topic necessary to talk about?
 EBI: Absolutely! There actually are many diseases that I know can be transmitted orally including Oral Gonorrhea, thrush, warts, herpes and many other mouth and throat infections! This is a topic not only for actors but for the general public! Hmm... This is getting scarier the more we talk about it!!!
 OSARFO: would you agree with me that you took a deadly risk in the movies that you deeply kissed actors without knowing their medical status?
 EBI: Well yeah... With the profoundest respect to the very few I have kissed. They took a risk with me too! Let me simplify it by stating that we all took the risks. Fortunately, they've all been pretty neat, nice fellows who I call friends now, but that has nothing to do with the issue we're discussing. I guess we don't expect that our co-star has anything harmful to share with us on set, but with all intimate relations there must be the highest degree of discretionary protection. I thank you for asking, as now I don't see myself engaging in this kind of risk in the future.
  OSARFO: Have you ever unfurled this issue before any Ghanaian film maker and what was the response?
 EBI: Noo... like I said earlier, no one even thinks of this, and that's why it's so dangerous! We're almost like a family and you'd be surprised how protective and possessive we are about each other. Trust is pretty solid within the industry especially across sexes. I must state categorically that it is unlikely that the caliber of film makers we have today would dismiss this issue. I consider myself one of the most risk-taking and vocal actresses but I haven't raised this issue! Your feature is groundbreaking so I thank you in advance for prompting us and spearheading change because I know that the powers that be will respond promptly and positively to this.
 OSARFO: Do you know whether film makers in other continents or countries screen actors medically before casting them?
 EBI: I'm pretty sure that they do. People are pretty discriminating elsewhere generally. They are more informed and more vocal about things like this. We are also getting there, wait and see, because who can ignore an issue like this?
 OSARFO: Your last words on this issue……
 EBI: The saddest thing for me would be for people to reduce this issue to a lambasting of film producers. Everyone must share the responsibility. Actors, producers, policy and regulation makers as well, because there have to be standards and conditions for work, as in any other profession. I look at this as a prompting of not only the industry, but also public attention towards greater discretion in our general physical conduct.
 
Plump but beautiful actress Roslyn Ngissah told Flex newspaper “they (Ghanaian film makers) don't screen us, at least as far as I am concerned; no film maker has ever screened me before I was casted to play any role in any film. I agree with you if you say we are at risk but what can we do? This is an industrial issue we all have to talk about because it's crucial for our work.”

Speaking to multiple award winning actor Van Vicker, he said “this is a serious issue you want to write about. Those who are at risk are actors like me who kiss in almost every movie we are casted for. I once did Hepatitis B screening with my family when the Hepatitis-B epidemic hit our faces some time back. It was then that I learnt one could contract Hepatitis-B through kissing.

At that time, I had kissed an actress in a movie for almost 2 minutes so I screened to known my medical status as far as the disease is concerned. I can't mention names but I believe in other film making countries, some A-list actors would require film makers to screen them medically or vice versa just to know the medical fitness of the actor for a role. Especially roles that involve stunts. I personally don't tongue-kiss in movies but many others do and even go over boards.”

Flex newspaper is still compiling reactions from our film makers. Now that some actors have come out boldly, we promise to bring reactions from the film makers too regard this topic; Should Ghanaian film makers screen actors medically before casting them for roles that involve kissing? Keep reading Flex newspaper, Ghana's most authoritative and credible print media.

No comments:

Post a Comment